Marchmont House is an imposing ‘Grade A’ listed Palladian mansion built in 1750 by Hugh Hume-Campbell, 3rd Earl of Marchmont. The interior is arguably one of the finest in Scotland, and the house retains many of its original features, including the magnificent George II period plasterwork by Thomas Clayton.
Major changes were made between 1914 and 1917 when the then owner, Robert Finnie McEwen commissioned the eminent Scottish architect Sir Robert Lorimer to enlarge the house and it stands today as perhaps the finest example of his ‘grand’ house refurbishments.
Situated at the heart of the Marchmont Estate, it lies to the east of the village of Greenlaw in the Scottish Borders, 19 miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed and just 40 miles from Edinburgh.
Normally only open to the public for a limited number of days each year for guided tours and special events, the house is available, in-part or as a whole, for private or corporate lettings.
A wide variety of tours are run regularly throughout the year.
Students learn Bee Keeping as part of the High School curriculumRead More
Subscribe for the latest news and developments at Marchmont House.